Find out how we can help your digital transformation. Contact us to learn more.
Use Pivotal Trademarks as Proper Adjectives followed by a Generic Term.
Trademarks should be used as adjectives followed by a generic modifier, and not as nouns or verbs. For example:
- Correct: PIVOTAL® [GENERIC TERM] is popular.
- Incorrect: Pivotal is popular.
Do Not Use Pivotal Trademarks in the Possessive Form.
Because trademarks are not nouns they should not be used in the possessive form, unless the trademark itself is in possessive form. For example:
- Correct: We are increasing the advertising budget for PIVOTAL® products.
- Incorrect: We are increasing Pivotal's advertising budget.
Do Not Use Pivotal Trademarks in the Plural Form.
Because trademarks are not nouns they should not be used in the plural form unless the trademark itself is in plural form. For example:
- Correct: Customers enjoy PIVOTAL® products.
- Incorrect: Customers enjoy Pivotals.
Make Pivotal Trademarks Stand Out.
Trademarks should be separate from surrounding text to emphasis their brand name significance. Options include:
- Presenting the trademark in all capital letters (for example, PIVOTAL®).
- Capitalizing the first letter of the trademark (for example, Pivotal).
- Presenting the trademark in bold, underlining, or italics (for example, Pivotal).
Do Not Alter Pivotal Trademarks.
Trademarks should be used consistently, exactly as they are shown
- Abbreviate the trademarks.
- Change the colors or typeface of the trademarks.
- Remove, distort, or add words or design elements to the trademarks.
- Hyphenate the marks unless the trademark itself is hyphenated.
Use Proper Trademark Notice Symbols.
Proper trademark notice symbols should be used with Pivotal trademarks. In the US the proper symbol to use depends on whether the trademark is registered with the US Patent and Trademark Office for the specific products or services for which the mark is used. Please see
for a list of Pivotal trademarks, and their registration status in the US.
Use the registered trademark symbol ® with registered Pivotal trademarks but only if the trademark is registered with the US Patent and Trademark Office for the specific products and services for which the trademark is used. If the trademark is not registered in the US Patent and Trademark Office, use the symbol:
- ™ with trademarks used to identify products.
- ℠ with trademarks used to identify services.
- ™with trademarks used to identify both products and services.
- The appropriate symbol should appear immediately following the mark, and should appear in superscript.
- The proper trademark symbols for trademarks used and registered in countries outside of the US are governed by the laws of those countries. Do not use the registered trademark symbol ® in countries where the particular Pivotal Trademark has not been registered.
- Use the registered trademark symbol ® with registered Pivotal trademarks but only if the trademark is registered with the US Patent and Trademark Office for the specific products and services for which the trademark is used. If the trademark is not registered in the US Patent and Trademark Office, use the symbol:
- Repeated Use. If you use a trademark repeatedly in a document, on the first reference you should use the product name with a descriptor, thereafter the trademark should appear with its noun descriptor, for example the PIVOTAL® HD software.
Never Combine Pivotal Trademarks with Your Trademark/Product.
Trademarks are meant to identify the source of a product, and combination with third party product names may cause a likelihood of confusion. Do not state or imply that your product is produced or authorized by Pivotal.
- It is incorrect to allow others to use our mark as part of your product name: "Alpine Pivotal HD."
- Do Not Use Pivotal’s Trademarks in an Inappropriate Manner. You may not use a Pivotal Trademark in connection with adult content, gambling, tobacco, alcohol, or in violation of law. You may not use a Pivotal Trademark in a manner that is misleading, defamatory, infringing, libelous, obscene or otherwise objectionable to Pivotal.
- Do Not Use or Register Pivotal Trademarks in domain names, social media names or profiles.
- Do Not Display Pivotal Trademarks as the most prominent feature of a website.
- Never Use a Pivotal Trademark Logo without express written permission of Pivotal. Do not copy Pivotal’s trade dress.