- Pivotal today announced new enterprise-grade capabilities for Pivotal CF®, the world’s leading enterprise PaaS powered by Cloud Foundry®. These capabilities support the speed and flexibility needed by application development teams and the scalability, reliability and control required by IT operations teams to deliver a new class of modern applications.
- New capabilities include:
- Ability to automatically deploy applications into dual availability zones to build in redundancy across clouds;
- Enhanced dashboards for real time application status, events and logs;
- Ability for operations to create service plans for binding apps to existing enterprise data lakes;
- Developer data services for building next-gen apps.
- Pivotal CF breaks new ground to meet the needs of modern IT organizations:
- Enterprise IT operations teams get control, visibility and portability with applications that can be rapidly scaled, moved and added to popular infrastructure environments.
- Enterprise application development teams get choice and speed to build applications with a best-fit framework that avoids cloud lock-in.
- CIOs get cost and infrastructure flexibility to run applications in a variety of cloud deployments that easily integrate with blended legacy and next-gen application portfolios.
- Major industry leaders will speak today at the Cloud Foundry Summit, including a number of customers now deploying Pivotal CF, which in just six months has signed on big name brands from a host of industries. Enterprise users speaking at the Summit include Axel Springer, Cisco, CoreLogic, Monsanto, SAS and more.
- To share this news on Twitter, please click here.
San Francisco, June 10, 2014 – Pivotal, the company at the intersection of big data, PaaS and agile development, today announced new enterprise-grade capabilities for Pivotal CF, the leading enterprise Platform-as-a-Services (PaaS) based on the widely adopted open source Cloud Foundry. Expanded capabilities include new data services, dual availability zones and doubling the number of application build packs for developers.
The Case for Enterprise PaaS
Some of the most respected and established brands in the world have realized the limitations of a client-server model and the opportunity of shifting to the cloud. Enterprises running their businesses on aging, legacy siloes are struggling to manage massive data loads and rapid cycles in the creation of modern applications.
These brands are seeing their businesses disrupted by start-ups leveraging the inexpensive compute, storage and networking advantages of cloud computing and focusing on building applications that have created new markets, innovative products and new customer experiences.
An enterprise-grade PaaS will enable companies large and small alike to take advantage of cloud computing and to create fast, agile software-driven businesses. Pivotal CF has become the de-facto enterprise PaaS standard by addressing organizations’ operational concerns, security policies and providing the capability across hybrid cloud environments. Pivotal CF frees up enterprises to rapidly develop, run and manage their apps across any public or private cloud. It delivers on the needs of all IT application stakeholders to create business value and stay competitive.
IT Operations Closer to the Speed of Business
- Multiple Availability Zones for HA requirements – Applications can be automatically deployed into dual availability zones in an enterprise private cloud. As a result, enterprises are able to build redundancy into every application — tolerating up to a 50% loss of hardware capacity without downtime — and spanning multiple local data centers with ease.
- Audit and Usage Dashboard for Platform Administrators – Enhanced auditing capabilities include a dynamically updated application dashboard that provides developers and operators usage reports, real time application status, events and logs.
- Monitoring via JMX – Pivotal CF components can now be monitored with JMX which collects and exposes VM and system data to assist in troubleshooting.
Developer Services for Next-Gen Apps
- Pivotal HD – As modern applications rely on and create large amounts of data, Pivotal CF builds this into the PaaS for both developer speed and operations accountability. In addition to providing developers with dedicated Hadoop clusters in seconds, operations can now define service plans that enable them to bind their Pivotal CF applications to the enterprise's data lake.
- Data Services – Redis™, MongoDB®, Neo4j™, Riak CS and Apache Cassandra can be deployed by Pivotal CF as managed services to bind with applications.
- Doubling Choice of Runtimes – New build packs for Go, Python and PHP, in addition to Java, Ruby and Node.js applications. With these build packs, developers have a “push and it just works” experience.
This latest release comes eight weeks after the previous version, demonstrating Pivotal’s commitment and ability to deliver on a rapid, continuous innovation cycle required by their enterprise customers. Pivotal CF 1.3 will be available in the early third quarter of 2014.
Donnie Berkholz, Analyst, RedMonk
“One of the driving forces behind shadow IT has been the mismatch between business needs for agility and IT's reputation as the department of 'no'. Private PaaS has the potential to provide a high-productivity developer experience that's a hallmark of PaaS in addition to the visibility and governance IT desires, by making IT's needs transparent to developers. Pivotal's efforts in building Cloud Foundry and its broader ecosystem put it in position to attack this opportunity.”
James Watters, Vice President Product, Marketing and Ecosystems for Cloud Foundry at Pivotal
“Pivotal is committed to bringing PaaS to the enterprise in a way companies want to consume it. I’ve met with IT leaders across industries and hear consistently how they want to modernize their app portfolio with solutions that let them innovate faster and build modern, data driven apps. They also want the freedom to run apps on their own cloud or best-of-breed public clouds. This release of Pivotal CF was built to meet those needs for organizations of any size, across industries.”
- Press release: Pivotal Announces New Gold Member at Cloud Foundry Summit; Showcases Commercial Implementations of Leading Platform-as-a-Service
- Gartner Report: Hunting and Harvesting in a Digital World Insights from the 2013 Gartner CIO Agenda Report
Pivotal combines our cloud-native platform, developer tools, and unique methodology to help the world’s largest companies transform the way they build and run their most important applications. Our technology is used by Global 2000 companies to achieve strategic advantages in software development and IT operations.
©2014 Pivotal Software, Inc. All rights reserved. Pivotal, Pivotal CF and Cloud Foundry are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Pivotal Software, Inc. in the United States and/or other Countries. Other product and brand names are trademarks of their respective companies.
This release contains 'forward-looking statements' as defined under the Federal Securities Laws. Actual results could differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements as a result of certain risk factors, including but not limited to: (i) adverse changes in general economic or market conditions; (ii) delays or reductions in information technology spending; (iii) the relative and varying rates of product price and component cost declines and the volume and mixture of product and services revenues; (iv) competitive factors, including but not limited to pricing pressures and new product introductions; (v) component and product quality and availability; (vi) fluctuations in VMware, Inc.’s operating results and risks associated with trading of VMware stock; (vii) the transition to new products, the uncertainty of customer acceptance of new product offerings and rapid technological and market change; (viii) risks associated with managing the growth of our business, including risks associated with acquisitions and investments and the challenges and costs of integration, restructuring and achieving anticipated synergies; (ix) the ability to attract and retain highly qualified employees; (x) insufficient, excess or obsolete inventory; (xi) fluctuating currency exchange rates; (xii) threats and other disruptions to our secure data centers or networks; (xiii) our ability to protect our proprietary technology; (xiv) war or acts of terrorism; and (xv) other one-time events and other important factors disclosed previously and from time to time in the filings EMC Corporation, the parent company of Pivotal, with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. EMC and Pivotal disclaim any obligation to update any such forward-looking statements after the date of this release.