USN-2857-1 Linux kernel vulnerability
- Ubuntu 14.04
Nathan Williams discovered that overlayfs in the Linux kernel incorrectly handled setattr operations. A local unprivileged attacker could use this to create files with administrative permission attributes and execute arbitrary code with elevated privileges.
The Cloud Foundry project released a BOSH stemcell version 3146.2 and 3173 that has the patched version of the Linux kernel.
Pivotal is releasing an updated version of Pivotal Cloud Foundry Suite which references this patched BOSH stemcell.
Severity is high unless otherwise noted.
- All versions of Cloud Foundry BOSH stemcells prior to 3173 are vulnerable, besides patched versions of 3146.x at least at version 3146.2.
- Pivotal Cloud Foundry Elastic Runtime pre-1.5.9 versions and 1.6.x versions prior to 1.6.9.
- Pivotal Ops Manager pre-1.5.11 versions and 1.6.x versions prior to 1.6.6.
- Pivotal Redis pre-1.4.15 versions and 1.5.x versions prior to 1.5.4.
- Pivotal GemFire SSC pre-220.127.116.11 versions and 1.1.x versions before 18.104.22.168.
- Pivotal RabbitMQ pre-1.5.2 versions.
- Pivotal Ops Metrics pre-1.4.9 versions, all 1.5.x versions, and all 1.6.x versions prior to 1.6.2.
Users of affected versions should apply the following mitigation:
- The Cloud Foundry project recommends that Cloud Foundry deployments run with BOSH stemcells 3173 or later versions, or patched 3146.x versions at 3146.2 or later.
- Pivotal recommends that customers upgrade to the 1.5.10 or later 1.5.x versions or the 1.6.9 or later versions of Pivotal Cloud Foundry Elastic Runtime.
- 1.5.11 or later 1.5.x versions or the 1.6.6 or later versions of Pivotal Ops Manager.
- 22.214.171.124 or later versions of Pivotal GemFire SSC and 126.96.36.199 or later 1.1.0.x versions.
- 1.4.15 or later 1.4.x versions and 1.5.4 or later versions of Pivotal Redis.
- 1.5.2 or later versions of RabbitMQ.
- The 1.4.9 or later 1.4.x versions or the 1.6.2 or later versions of Pivotal Ops Metrics.