USN-2798-1 Linux kernel vulnerability
- Ubuntu 14.04
It was discovered that in certain situations, a directory could be renamed outside of a bind mounted location. An attacker could use this to escape bind mount containment and gain access to sensitive information. (CVE-2015-2925)
Moein Ghasemzadeh discovered that the USB WhiteHEAT serial driver contained hardcoded attributes about the USB devices. An attacker could construct a fake WhiteHEAT USB device that, when inserted, causes a denial of service (system crash). (CVE-2015-5257)
The Cloud Foundry project released a BOSH stemcell version 3126 that has the patched version of the Linux kernel.
Pivotal is releasing an updated version of Pivotal Cloud Foundry Suite which references this patched BOSH stemcell.
Severity is medium unless otherwise noted.
- All versions of Cloud Foundry BOSH stemcells prior to 3126 have versions of the kernel vulnerable to USN-2798-1.
- Pivotal Cloud Foundry Elastic Runtime pre-1.5.8 versions and versions 1.6.0, 1.6.1, and 1.6.2.
- Pivotal Ops Manager pre-1.5.9 versions and versions 1.6.0 and 1.6.1.
- Pivotal Redis pre-1.4.12 versions.
- Pivotal GemFire SSC pre-126.96.36.199 versions and versions 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206.
- Pivotal RabbitMQ pre-1.4.8 versions.
- Pivotal Ops Metrics pre-1.4.6 versions and versions 1.5.0 and 1.5.1.
- Pivotal MySQL pre-220.127.116.11 versions and versions 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124.
Users of affected versions should apply the following mitigation:
- The Cloud Foundry project recommends that Cloud Foundry deployments run with BOSH stemcells 3126 or later versions.
- Pivotal recommends that customers upgrade to the 1.5.8 or later 1.5.x versions or the 1.6.3 or later 1.6.x versions of Pivotal Cloud Foundry Elastic Runtime.
- 1.5.9 or later 1.5.x versions or the 1.6.2 or later 1.6.x versions of Pivotal Ops Manager.
- The 126.96.36.199 or later versions of Pivotal GemFire SSC, or version 188.8.131.52.
- 1.4.12 or later versions of Pivotal Redis.
- 1.4.8 or later versions of RabbitMQ.
- The 1.4.6 or later 1.4.x versions or the 1.5.2 or later 1.5.x versions of Pivotal Ops Metrics.
- The 184.108.40.206 or later 1.6.x versions or the 220.127.116.11 or later 1.7.x versions of Pivotal MySQL.