CVE-2017-4971: Data Binding Expression Vulnerability in Spring Web Flow
Spring by Pivotal
- Spring Web Flow 2.4.0 to 2.4.4
- Older unsupported versions are also affected
Applications that do not change the value of the MvcViewFactoryCreator useSpringBinding property which is disabled by default (i.e. set to “false”) can be vulnerable to malicious EL expressions in view states that process form submissions but do not have a
Users of affected versions should apply the following mitigation:
- 2.4.x users should upgrade to 2.4.5
- Note that generally it is a good practice and recommended to always use explicit data binding declarations in view states in order to prevent form submissions from setting fields on the target object that should not be set.
- Spring Web Flow with JSF users are not impacted by this report.
The issue was identified by Stefano Ciccone of Gotham Digital Science
- Commit 57f2cc on master branch (2.4.5 release)
- Commit ec3d54 on 2.5.x branch (2.5.RC1 release)
2017-05-31: Initial vulnerability report published