Find out how we can help your digital transformation. Contact us to learn more.
San Francisco, February 17, 2015 – Coming on the heels of the newly announced Open Data Platform Initiative (ODP), which includes Platinum level founding members Pivotal® and Hortonworks, the two companies today announced a unified approach to meeting enterprise data management and analytics needs through a strategic and commercial alliance. Pivotal and Hortonworks will focus their efforts around a consistent core of Apache™ Hadoop®-based capabilities, including product integrations, joint engineering and production support. This strategic alignment marks a concerted strategy by both companies to leverage core competencies to maximize the benefits to their enterprise customers and partners.
The strategic partnership marries Pivotal’s best-in-class SQL on Hadoop, analytical database and NoSQL in-memory technologies, with Hortonworks’ best-in class expertise and support for Hadoop. The Pivotal/Hortonworks alliance includes the following:
- Pivotal and Hortonworks will align engineering teams to accelerate the enterprise capabilities of Apache Hadoop® with Pivotal technologies, including HAWQ® and Pivotal GemFire®.
- Pivotal and Hortonworks will provide all available advanced services in the Pivotal Big Data Suite on the Hortonworks Data Platform. Beginning with the market leading SQL on Hadoop solution, HAWQ. This delivers the world's best SQL on Hadoop to Hortonworks customers for advanced analytics.
- Hortonworks will provide escalation level support for Pivotal HD 3, Pivotal’s Apache Hadoop Distribution.
Sundeep Madra, Vice President of Data and Mobile Product Group, Pivotal
“Pivotal and Hortonworks are both shaping a new data infrastructure through open source technology. Our partnership with Hortonworks maintains the speed and flexibility of open source, while bringing world-class, modern data analytics and services vital to enterprises. Most importantly, the move away from fragmentation to a unified approach for a common Hadoop core will help remove key barriers to the widespread enterprise adoption of Apache Hadoop.”
Shaun Connolly, Vice President of Corporate Strategy, Hortonworks
“Pivotal is joining Hortonworks in our belief that the best way to deliver infrastructure platform technology today is completely in open source. Moreover, we believe that collaborative open source software development under the governance model of an entity like the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) is the best way to accelerate innovation that targets enterprise end users since it brings the largest number of developers together in a way that enables innovation to happen far faster than any single vendor could achieve and in a way that is free of friction for the enterprise.”
- Pivotal’s Gavin Sherry “Pivotal Aligns With Hortonworks To Give Big Data A Big Boost” http://bit.ly/1JmPJHa
- Hortonworks’ Shaun Connolly “Pivotal and Hortonworks Join Forces on Hadoop” http://bit.ly/1JmQb8A
- Pivotal’s Scott Yara “Why The Open Data Platform Is Such A Big Deal For Big Data” http://bit.ly/1DzGTkj
- Pivotal: “Strengthening Apache Hadoop in the Enterprise with Apache Ambari” http://bit.ly/1Bi4LK4
- Hortonworks: “Pivotal, Hortonworks, and a Shared Vision of Operations for Enterprise Hadoop” http://bit.ly/1E0c3ln
Related Press Releases
- Technology Leaders Unite Around ‘Open Data Platform’ to Increase Enterprise Adoption of Hadoop and Big Data http://bit.ly/1ALoGji
- Pivotal Introduces World’s First Open Source-based, Enterprise-Class Big Data Product Suite http://bit.ly/17jEZb5
Hortonworks develops, distributes and supports the only 100% open source Apache Hadoop data platform. Our team comprises the largest contingent of builders and architects within the Hadoop ecosystem who represent and lead the broader enterprise requirements within these communities.
The Hortonworks Data Platform provides an open platform that deeply integrates with existing IT investments and upon which enterprises can build and deploy Hadoop-based applications.
Hortonworks has deep relationships with the key strategic data center partners that enable our customers to unlock the broadest opportunities from Hadoop.
Pivotal’s Cloud Native platform drives software innovation for many of the world’s most admired brands. With millions of developers in communities around the world, Pivotal technology touches billions of users every day. After shaping the software development culture of Silicon Valley's most valuable companies for over a decade, today Pivotal leads a global technology movement transforming how the world builds software.
Pivotal Media Relations
Pivotal Analyst Relations
©2015 Hortonworks, Inc. and Pivotal Software, Inc. All rights reserved. Hortonworks and HDP are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Hortonworks, Inc. in the United States and other countries. Pivotal, GemFire and HAWQ are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Pivotal Software, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word “partner” or “partnership” does not imply a legal partnership relationship between Pivotal and any other company.
Cautionary Note Regarding Forward Looking Statements – Hortonworks, Inc. This release contains forward-looking statements involving risks and uncertainties. Such forward-looking statements generally relate to future events, our ability to increase the number of support subscription customers, the growth in usage of the Hadoop framework, our ability to innovate and develop the various open source projects that will enhance the capabilities of the Hortonworks Data Platform, anticipated customer benefits and general business outlook. You should not rely upon forward-looking statements as predictions of future events. We have based the forward-looking statements contained in this release primarily on our current expectations and projections about future events and trends that we believe may affect our business, financial condition and prospects. We cannot assure you that the results, events and circumstances reflected in the forward-looking statements will be achieved or occur, and actual results, events, or circumstances could differ materially from those described in the forward-looking statements. The forward-looking statements made in this release relate only to events as of the date of the release and we undertake no obligation to update any of the information